Friday, December 11, 2009

Catching up

The gap between ski season and cross season is the perfect chance to catch up.  And I have some serious catching up to do - beer, coffee, bread and chocolate.  Bad tv.  A push in lab to get some things going before my weekends are gone again. 

But I'm also getting behind.  On studying for ski teaching.  On my blog (yes, I know, I owe myself two race reports and have a few other posts in the works... they're coming, really...).  Maybe even on keeping up with Facebook.  Definitely on core work and other such calorie-burning nonsense.

There are a number of others who've spent time this week reflecting on cross season.  I think I'm still recovering.  Realizing that I too have the bug that is cross.  The love of going out to push myself to painful limits every Sunday.  I wouldn't have expected that from myself.  I never really thought I was an athlete until becoming a competitive cyclist.  Maybe it's because I never before treated my body as an athlete should.

The funny thing is, gym class brought my GPA down.  Maybe it's better that way - the high school athletes I knew are now, based on their Facebook pages anyway, more sedentary.  In a few cases, college and high school buds have turned out to be accomplished triathletes.  Perhaps team sports aren't all they are cracked up to be? 

No comments:

Post a Comment