Sunday, May 23, 2010

I can't make this stuff up!

Two days after my run in with a small blur of fur, I was out on the road in rural Pennsylvania yesterday.  Just riding along on some of the flattest, quietest roads I've found anywhere.  Young colts in the pastures, kicking and playing at the sight of a cyclist.  A farmer or two who turn their heads and wave.  Free range chickens, the smell of turkey farms, baby goats in a field, cows with udders full of milk.  And an emu.  In the middle of the road.

Yeah, that's right, an emu.  A white emu at that.  With spindly legs and big beady eyes. It didn't like the looks of me - it stumbled through some bushes on the side of the road and high-tailed it across a recently planted corn field.  Apparently it had escaped a local farm - glad I didn't have to catch it because those buggers can run.

No comments:

Post a Comment