Sunday, June 21, 2009

Inspiring Endurance...

I did it. I registered for a really long race (yeah, that's me under "9hr solo"). That I haven't trained for. Next weekend. So I'm planning to treat it as a training ride - hopefully a fun one with some elements of race conditions. I'm sure that no matter how much I tell my stomach that it's just a training event, it will not listen, and I will inevitably be too fast on the first lap. Either way, I'm looking forward to actually spending time on a trail - I think the mountain bike has seen 2, maybe 3 outings in the past month.

I'm doing this race to help me in my current quest to be mentally tougher and enjoy just racing for myself regardless of who passed me or got dropped - a season goal of mine. And I'm not expecting to make it the whole nine hours.

Turns out, I'm not the toughest or the craziest. I've been following Jill Homer's blog - she's currently out on a 2700 mile self-supported race from Canada to Mexico, through the Rockies. It's called the Tour Divide and you can find out where each racer is (based on their SPOT GPS tracking device) and listen to some pretty cool phone calls from all of the racers. Having already scared away a few bears and lived through a LOT of rain, she's a little over a week into what will likely be a month-long effort. Makes 9 hours look paltry. Somehow, I don't think it will feel that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment